This year A5 Live is raising money for C.A.L.M. The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) which is an award-winning charity dedicated to preventing male suicide, the single biggest killer of men under the age of 45 in the UK. In 2015, 75% of all UK suicides were male.
- Offering support to men in the UK, of any age, who are down or in crisis via our helpline, webchat and website
- Challenging a culture that prevents men seeking help when they need it, through CALMzine and campaigns such as #ManDictionary and #BiggerIssues
- Pushing for changes in policy and practice so that suicide is better prevented, via partnerships such as The Alliance of Suicide Prevention Charities (TASC), the National Suicide Prevention Alliance (NSPA)
- Supporting those bereaved by suicide, through the Support After Suicide Partnership (SASP), hosted by CALM, which aims to ensure that everyone bereaved or affected by suicide is offered and receives timely and appropriate support
- CALM is about, for and on behalf of men. We use young men’s peers, their voices and interests to reach them. We seek to work with clubs, venues and brands with voices that men respect, feel comfortable with and trust to get our message across.
- We believe that there is a cultural barrier preventing men from seeking help as they are expected to be in control at all times, and failure to be seen as such equates to weakness and a loss of masculinity.We believe that if men felt able to ask for and find help when they need it then hundreds of male suicides could be prevented.
- We’re a campaign for all men, not just ‘service users’. All of us, at one time or another and regardless of gender, can hit a crisis and so we could all do with support when things get tough.